Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Uh oh - birthday dead ahead . . .

I am ambivalent about birthdays - at least mine. Part of me wants to acknowledge that one more trip around the sun, but the "celebrate me" part I don't wear quite so well. Why am I bringing this up? That day rolls around again at the end of the week and I've been trying to figure out how to reconcile this ridiculous conflict I'm having about it. (Really, I must have way too much time on my hands.)

So here's what I'm gonna do . . . .

I know some of you who read this are good friends, others don't really know me at all . . . but if any of you feel like it, join me for music on either Friday or Saturday night (or both). On Friday I'll be at Lloyd Jones' show at Duff's Garage and Saturday at James Low's at the Laurelthirst. Both start around 9:30 and I'll try to be there a little earlier. Can't think of a better way to celebrate than by getting as many folks as I can out to hear two musicians who are both good friends and two of the most talented artists in Portland. BTW, James is also marking his birthday with a reunion performance of his "old" band (with Lewi, Matt, Merilee, and Jolie) that should be a whole lot of fun.

But here's the twist (which is the point of all this) . . . Instead of buying me a birthday beer (besides, only two of you would get to do that anyway), write a small check to either the Oregon Food Bank, Mercy Corp, or Ethos Music Center and give it to me. I will deliver what I collect to each. Feeding people locally, helping those in crisis internationally, and teaching kids music are three things I care about. Never feel we can do enough for any of them. I'll collect cash too, but a check gives you a tax deductible contribution. Support the artists, support good work . . . and the less this is about me the better.

(BTW, if you just want to join me for the music, that's fine too - I know we all have our favorite causes and ways of giving.)

Hope to see you on Friday or Saturday night . . . .

No comments: