Sunday, June 28, 2009

Three Girls and Their Buddy

I have been looking forward to this show on Tuesday at Oaks Amusement Park for a while. With a collection of some of my very favorite artists, I have high hopes for a wonderful concert.

There's so much I can say about Emmylou Harris, but I won't . . . suffice it to say that she's been one of my music heroes for a very long time . . . not just for the amazing talent she is, but how she is responsible for turning me on to so many other artists - either through her song selections, collaborations, or her bands.

One of those band members who's talent I am in absolute in awe of is Buddy Miller (the buddy of tonight). He's an extraordinary guitar player, songwriter, producer, and probably just about the best male country singer most country music fans never heard of (take that all you hat acts!).

And Patty Griffin writes like nobody's business and sings even better (I think she's one of the most underrated vocalists in music). For me, the combination of the depth of her lyrics and the power of her voice makes her an irresistible musical force.

And I don't mean to ignore Shawn Colvin (I've always liked her work), just that the other three hold so much power for me. I can only hope the combination of all four makes for a sublime evening of music. Hope to see ya there!

Oh yeah . . . music starts at 7 pm, doors open at 5:30 . . . tickets are $39.50 in advance or $43 at the door.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

An exceptional show. Happy to have been introduced to Patty Griffin finally. Buddy kept it all together tight. Nice evening!