Friday, December 28, 2007

More best . . . in live music

So what were the best live shows around town in 2007? Often it's hard to remember what shows we saw when . . . but below is my stab at some of the more memorable ones for me this year (in no particular order).

Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings at the Doug Fir (this is recent, so I haven't forgotten yet!)
John Hammond at Mississippi Studios
Patty Smith at The Bite
Stephen Bruton at Mississippi Studios
Richard Thompson at the Aladdin
Patty Griffin - both shows (Aladdin and the Zoo)
The sets of Mavis Staples, Teresa James, Marcia Ball, and Voices of the Wetlands All Stars at the Waterfront Blues Festival
Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi's Soul Stew Review at the Zoo
Los Lobos at the Zoo
The Subdudes at the Aladdin
Ruthie Foster at Mississippi Studios
Alejandro Escovedo at the Aladdin
Tom Russell at Mississippi Studios

I'm probably forgetting some, but these were all really fine shows to my ears . . . .

Feel free to add your thoughts via the comments!

3 comments:

Jim Friscia said...

Okay . . . one I left out - Sonny Landreth at Mississippi Studios - possibly the best show of the year! How could I forget?

Anonymous said...

I caught several of your "best of" 2007 shows and would like to throw in just a couple more . . . Josh Ritter at the Aladdin (both times,) Willy Porter with Peter Mulvey opening at the Aladdin and Old Crow Medicine Show and the Be Good Tanyas at the Zoo, Richard Shindell at Mississippi Studios (perhaps my favorite of the year) ~ and oh, David Francey at Mississippi Studios (or was that last year? :)

Jim Friscia said...

I was at the Shindell show too, and I should have included it on my list - it was quite a good one too. Thanks for the input!